Ms. Toody Goo Shoes

Ms. Toody Goo Shoes

I want to go everywhere I haven't been, and back to everywhere I have been.

Sunday, May 8, 2016

Two Things My Mother Told Me That Changed My Life




 When I was in my 20's, my mother said two things to me 
that truly changed the course of my life,
although I didn't recognize it at the time. 

Ms. Toody Goo Shoes


The first was a few days before 
I was to start my first job, as a receptionist at a local museum,
when I was offered a better position at a cable TV company.
I had majored in communications in college,
so the TV job was clearly the better option.
 
I didn't know what to do.

Mom said, "Take the job in your field, 
and be honest with the museum 
about why you are backing out at the last minute."
That decision ultimately led me to a 
beyond-my-wildest-dreams 32-year career at a major television network.

The second was when I told my mother that a friend was having trouble 
finding a roommate to share her apartment in New York City.
Mom said, "What about you?"
For whatever the reason, the thought had never occurred to me.
I moved in with my friend, and that summer,
I took a share in a house in Fire Island,
where eventually I met my husband.
Oh, and I ended up living in NYC for 22 years!

I never got to thank my mom for those two pieces of advice,
but somehow, I think she knows.


Ms. Toody Goo Shoes



Happy Mother's Day to all the moms, step-moms, and grand-moms out there,
whose advice has helped to shape their kids into who they are today,
or who they will be tomorrow. 
Someday, your kids will thank you!
 


12 comments:

  1. Your mom done good Amy :). Happy Mother's Day to you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So special ... and do you know!
    Sometimes mums really do know best!

    Happy Mothers Day
    Happy Weekend too.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mom was right as always!! :) Happy Mother's Day Amy! xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Our moms who are no longer with us here on Earth know everything now. I see that as something good, don't you? Linda@Wetcreek Blog

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really like this photo, Amy. You can see your mother's love for you in the way she's holding you. and I think if someone had shown me this picture I could have recognized that it was my beautiful blog friend Amy. You still have that same zest for life in your eyes too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What an example of guidance you can give to your son! Mom does know best!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Amy, I just love the photo of you and your mother. Your Mom gave you excellent advice in guiding you down your path in life. It's amazing how the choices we make bring wonderful things into our world. During my childhood we visited our cousins on Long Island every summer and I have great memories of Fire Island ... best beach ever! I hope you had a lovely Mother's Day. Joan-My Cookie Clinic

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds like your mama was one smart cookie!! Hope you had a fabulous Mother's Day, Amy!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. So sweet. I love this post. What a cute picture of you and your mom. I hope you had a great Mother's Day.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Our mothers' path our ways in so many ways. It's lovely to look back at how they have forged our lives, and how we do the same to our own. Have a wonderful week x

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm a little late, sweet friend, but I hope your weekend was blessed and beautiful. What great mom advice.

    ReplyDelete

PRIVACY POLICY: I will never share your email information with others. I use your email to respond to your comments on my blog, or to interact socially with you.