Ms. Toody Goo Shoes

Ms. Toody Goo Shoes

I want to go everywhere I haven't been, and back to everywhere I have been.

Monday, July 17, 2017

A HOUSE ON THE BEACH: LONG BEACH ISLAND PT. 1



Long Beach Island | Ms. Toody Goo Shoes

PROLOGUE

March 20, 2017:

Ms. Toody: I think we should rent a house on Long Beach Island over July 4th week, 
since Junior Goo Shoes will be away then. 
Mr. Goo Shoes: Naaaah, I don't want to do that. What's for dinner?


June 20, 2017:

Mr. Goo Shoes: Too bad we didn't think about renting a house on Long Beach Island 
for July 4th week. 
Ms. Toody: Great idea! (snickers to herself)......But we'll be lucky to find anything 
at this late date.

Long Beach Island | Ms. Toody Goo Shoes

July 4 Week:

It's 4:30pm and we are at a wedding, saying our goodbyes. 
After a mid afternoon downpour, the sun is now shining, and it is steamy outside.
My hot pink one-shoulder dress is starting to stick to me,

and I give serious consideration to tearing off the other shoulder. 

The air-conditioning in the car can't crank up fast enough. 
It's not until we're over the Tappan Zee Bridge that I finally cool down. 

Once home, I'm in Cinderella mode, peeling off my fancy clothes, 
and trading them for shorts and flip flops. 
The trunk is already packed, save for a few last minute items.
We pull out of the driveway, and it doesn't take more than a minute 
for Mr. Goo Shoes to ask if he closed the garage door. 
As we do almost every time we leave the house, 
we u-turn it back to check, and find the door securely closed. 
It always is.

Long Beach Island | Ms. Toody Goo Shoes

In two hours, three downpours, and109 exits, 
we're back on Long Beach Island. 
 I still can't believe we were able to find a house to rent 
during the busiest week of the summer.......
And, right on the beach, no less! 
I'm starting to get a little nervous, but I remind myself 
that the pictures on the website look okay, 
and as long as it's clean, we'll be fine. 
It's just a week, after all. 

Long Beach Island | Ms. Toody Goo Shoes

I've got a soft spot in my heart for LBI --
I spent several summers here during college and beyond.
But that was a long, LONG time ago.
Now, the island is teaming with traffic.
Many of the homes are newly re-constructed,
having been devastated during Superstorm Sandy in 2012.
They look like they're on steroids, packed in like sardines,
 a bit too large for the small parcels of land they sit on.
There seems to be an ice cream shop and seafood store on every block. 

Our house for the week is in North Beach, just past Surf City.
I recognize it immediately, since I checked it out 36 times on Google Earth.
It's the one set way back that looks like an ocean wave at the top.

Long Beach Island | Ms. Toody Goo Shoes

It's a two-family, and we have the top floor.  
We hope the people downstairs aren't rowdy types.
We're pretty sure they're thinking the same thing, as they watch us pull into the driveway.
Mr. GS had alerted the rental agent that we wouldn't be arriving until evening.
No worries -- he said the key will be in the mail box.
Except it isn't. 
Thankfully, we have the broker's cell number, but he doesn't answer. 
A bit of panic sets in, as I consider what it will be like to sleep in the car,
but Mr. Goo Shoes finds a window unlocked on the deck,
and is able to get in.   

Long Beach Island | Ms. Toody Goo Shoes

 The broker calls us back two hours later -- he's in Wisconsin!
After a misunderstanding, and a few phone calls, 
someone drops the key off at the house. 

Before I set foot inside, I soak up the view from our deck.
If you know me, it's all about the view.
Suddenly, I don't care what the interior looks like.......
As long as we've got this view for the next week, I'm good.

Long Beach Island | Ms. Toody Goo Shoes

Long Beach Island | Ms. Toody Goo Shoes

We are pleasantly surprised........ 
The interior of the house is nicer than we expected!

 The dining area looks out to the ocean.
The kitchen is compact, but well-stocked. 
There are three bedrooms, but we only need one. 
The what-I-think-at-first-is-the-living-room is nicely decorated.

Long Beach Island | Ms. Toody Goo Shoes

Down the hall at the front of the house 
we discover what-is-really-the-living-room,
with lots of windows, and another deck 
overlooking the driveway and street below.

Long Beach Island | Ms. Toody Goo Shoes

From the front deck, Barnegat Bay is visible, 
which will make for some spectacular sunset photos.

Long Beach Island | Ms. Toody Goo Shoes

I spot another set of stairs......didn't notice them in the photos online.
They lead to a rooftop deck - a bonus! 


Long Beach Island | Ms. Toody Goo Shoes

There are 360° views of the beach, bay, and surrounding houses.
I'm thinking it will be a great place to watch the fireworks. 

Long Beach Island | Ms. Toody Goo Shoes

There's not much to do our first night, other than unpack and relax.......
and dream about what it would be like to own this ocean view. 
I fall asleep as I redecorate the house in my head with our furniture.


To be continued.......

Long Beach Island, NJ | Ms. Toody Goo Shoes


16 comments:

  1. Wow - I agree it's all about the view! When we lived in NJ we were about 45 minutes from LBI, but with a newborn for 1 out of the 2 years we lived there I didn't make it there as much as I should have.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful place to relax for a week! Those views are so beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. omg, I'd want to die and be left to roast in the sun on that deck. wow!

    ReplyDelete
  4. ooooh, aaaaah, you did a great job finding a nice place on short notice. I would look at the water all day! sheila

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a cool looking house Amy! And I think you had good weather while there too? Don't leave us hanging!

    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. WOW what a great place, so glad that you found it.

    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your trip sounds like the way ours go. Something is always not right. That is a great view and don't tell me you bought a beach house.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have a similar conversation with my husband every year around March.....I want to make reservations way ahead to be sure we have something. He always wants to wait and see..ugh! Looks like it all fell in place for you and last minute! I am interested to know what is growing all over up to the beach!?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's dune grass, which is planted to help keep the dunes from eroding. Much of it is newly planted because of Superstorm Sandy. First, the sand had to be brought in and built up, and then the grass was planted.

      Delete
  9. Let me guess...Oceanside Realty? Ray was the only broker on LBI we ever had a problem with. Love LBI but loved it more when there was less beach, more ocean but after Sandy and the beach restoration, the amazing ocean views with dolphins playing was lost forever. We'll try it again next year now that we've had 3 summers without our LBI fix.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You have very beautiful shoes. I recently found a site where I bought these shoes. They are very comfortable and easily sized up. I liked the price and quality of these shoes. I will continue to order from them

    ReplyDelete
  11. That house is fabulous to spend some vacations!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Glad to hear that you were able to find a house so last minute. I used to go to Long Island a lot when I was younger all the way out to the North Fork.

    ReplyDelete
  13. That is an awesome view! (and I'm glad to know I'm not the only one that stresses and worries about what the house we've rented is really going to turn out to be like!).

    ReplyDelete

PRIVACY POLICY: I will never share your email information with others. I use your email to respond to your comments on my blog, or to interact socially with you.